Sunday, March 23, 2008

Said to me today...

I was sitting at Lake Eola with the boys and my friend Tyger. M&N were in the stroller reading books and playing with a couple of toys and generally behaving themselves quite well, considering the stroller. Tyger and I were chatting, waiting for church to begin. We'd been sitting in our seats for about 10-15 minutes and I turned around to see what was going on behind me. There were two men sitting directly behind the stroller.

They stood up, right before the service started, and said to me "No thanks. Might be made in China." And then he winked at me.

*ponders the meaning of his words*

I guess I'm a little frustrated with it, because even if he meant it in good fun, or to be funny, it really wasn't. In the end it isn't that big of a deal I suppose, but what if Nicholas and Matthew had been a little older, and understood what the man had said? How would I have handled that comment? I know I will be dealing with comments, funny and not, well meaning and not, for the rest of my life. I'm prepared for a lot of the things I hear and most of the questions surrounding my children/family. I let most of it roll off my back, as I did this comment as well, but seriously... Who cares if a kid was "made in China"? Or made in Vietnam, Guatemala, Ethiopia, the United States, Columbia?

OH well...in nine months I've only had two *slightly* strange/insensitive comments/questions made about my children. It's not all bad.

On the plus side, they were absolutely adorable and behaved fabulously during the service. And if you live in Orlando, watch Fox News at 5pm tonight. You just might see them on TV. :-) And if you do see them, you might notice that they were more interested in the leaves on the ground than the Easter eggs. :-)

3 comments:

anne girl said...

Weird. Maybe M&N can blow some Cheerios-speckled raspberries that guy's way! They were so much fun this morning - although I think I was partly to blame for egging them on. I just can't resist their smiles...

Did you see? We got 5 minutes on "First on Fox". Jason nearly jumped out of his seat!

Shana said...

Oh, sister, I feel you! The other day we were in the car dealership without Kevin and the car salesman asked me if my husband was "Oriental" to which I would have wished I had said " No, he is not a rug". But I didn't and I explained that the kids were adopted. The next time that happens I am more prepared and I will say "No, I am", then calmly walk away.LOL! -Shana

Kelly said...

I hate that someone's ignorance would discolor your Easter. Shake it off - the world's full of dodos who don't think before they talk. I've often been one of them. :)