Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A lesson from the boys

Last week, I made a sandwich and brought it into the living room to eat lunch while watching the boys. Of course, the vultures descended and ate about 1/3 of it. (I should have known better.) Since they handled it pretty well (mustard and all), we decided that we would add sandwiches to their diet.

So, a couple days later, I'm feeding them lunch including a quartered up sandwich each, handing them one quarter at a time and making sure they are taking bites and all instead of shoving it all in. Matthew pipes up to get my attention and I look over and he is brushing his hands together (flat. one on top of the other and palms together) and signing "please." Not recognizing what was going on, I tried to prompt him to sign "eat" or "more" or something like that (since they are getting lazy and just signing "please" for everything). He keeps rubbing his hands together and Nicholas is piping up, so I give up and hand Matthew his next piece and lo and behold, Nicholas does the same thing!?! After another second or two I finally realized that they had invented a new sign for sandwich! Pretty smart for only knowing what a sandwich was for about two days...

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I love that they invented their own! You really do have the best boys ever :)

Btw, here is the official sign for sandwich: http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/s/sandwich.htm

anne girl said...

That's so awesome! I wonder if they'll show off for me on Sunday (or whether I'll just make them hungry for an actual sandwich)...