Monday, October 15, 2007

Light a candle, say a prayer...

I imagine that most people don't know what today is. Of course, everyone knows the date is October 15th, but as of last year Congress passed a resolution to support a national day of remembrance for pregnancy and infant loss. For many of us it's a special day. The following words are from the website October15th.com: Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day is to promote Support, Education and Awareness for grieving parents nationwide (and worldwide).

Too many families grieve in silence, sometimes never coming to terms with their loss. Our goal is to help others relate to our loss, know what to say, do or not say, not do and to help families live with their loss, not "get over" their loss.

As I reflect on the idea of this day, it feels bittersweet. Right now I am listening to my two children playing downstairs. They are laughing, squealing and generally getting into mischief. Those are the sounds of pure joy. But if not for the losses that Dan and I have suffered through, I would not be given the privilege of having those sweet noises filling my house. So today I am thankful. Thankful to Alex, Nathaniel, Emma & Samantha for giving me the gift of Nicholas and Matthew. Thankful for the friends we have because of all our children. Tonight, at 7:00pm, light a candle in remembrance of those we have lost. We will.



2 comments:

Mountain Momma said...

I didn't know there was a special day for this. I am sorry that I missed it. But, I will take today to remember your precious little Alex, Nathaniel, Emma and Sammantha. There will always be a special place in my heart for them. I am also rejoicing with you for Nicholas and Matthew. God has blessed you too with two wonderful, healthy, cute little men and for that I praise God!!

Shana said...

Shannon and Dan, thnak you for letting us know about that day. I didn't know that it even existed. We too lost a baby, not nearly what you experienced, and have since then found 3 more. The loss of that baby, though, never really subsides. I honor our baby and am grateful that he/she led us to our family today.

Best Wishes,
Shana, Kevin, Haley, and soon to be Mia and Kyan